-- Sponsored Links --
An itchy rash is very likely an allergic reaction to a substance that has been ingested, such as a medication, or from coming in contact with something that triggers an allergic reaction in your body. A rash can be an area of redness, have small bumps or pustules, or have large hives or water blisters. A more serious rash will swell and become very warm or hot to the touch and possibly throb in addition to itching.
If you have come in contact with a substance outdoors, for instance, poison ivy or poison oak, cleanse the area with mild soap and water and throw all of your clothes into the washing machine. Apply an over the counter medication that your pharmacist recommends for poison ivy or poison oak. This may be a medication that contains a steroid and is approved for over the counter use. The pharmacist is a great source of reliable information on treatments that a person may self-administer.
In the case of an unknown allergen that you have come in contact physically, cleanse the area and use Benadryl lotion or Caladryl lotion that combines the drying benefits of calamine lotion with the antihistamine action of Benadryl.
Doctors in the case of an allergic reaction generally recommend Benadryl tablets. These and other generic equivalents of the medication are available over the counter. Oral Benadryl tablets – those taken by mouth- are good to use immediately in the case of any rash that is more than just the mildest of rashes. This may keep a more serious or life-threatening emergency at bay while you have time to seek expert medical attention.
In the meantime, it is important to contact your doctor because an allergic reaction of the skin can indicate a future more severe reaction if you come in contact again with the substance. If you are allergic to a medication, or even a food, your body may react in a life-threatening way the next time you touch or ingest the allergen. You may swell in your breathing passages and need emergency medical treatment. An itchy skin rash is an annoyance and a great irritant, but it is the body’s way of signaling that it has come in contact with something that it cannot tolerate. You need to listen to your body and not ignore that itchy skin rash.
-- Sponsored Links --